Add a device via the Management Server#
This guide walks you through the process of adding new devices to Coiote IoT DM using the Management server.
The LwM2M standard defines two methods for device registration:
- Management server (default) - The LwM2M Client negotiates security credentials directly with the LwM2M server.
- Bootstrap server (enhanced security) - The Bootstrap server is a dedicated server that acts as an intermediate to securely provision LwM2M Clients with the necessary information to register with a LwM2M server. For more information, visit the Bootstrap guide.
- An active Coiote IoT DM user account
- A LwM2M device
Sign up free of charge
You can create a free developer account allowing you connect up to 10 devices, to register visit: eu.iot.avsystem.cloud
Add a device via the Management server#
Log in to Coiote IoT DM and from the left side menu, select Device inventory.
In Device inventory click Add device.
If you're a new user with no added devices, the Add your LwM2M device panel will be displayed upon logging in to the platform.
Select the Connect your LwM2M device via the Management server tile.
In the Device credentials step:
- Endpoint name - enter your LwM2M device endpoint name
Friendly name (optional) - enter a name that will help you identify your device
Choose one of the Security modes:
For more information about the Security modes, see the Security modes section.
Click Add device and Confirm in the confirmation dialog window.
Once the device is activated using the right connection parameters, the device is added to the Coiote IoT DM platform.
LwM2M supports three security modes: Pre-Shared Key, Certificate, and NoSec.
- PSK mode uses a pre-shared key to establish secure communication between the LwM2M Client and Server.
- Certificate mode uses certificates for authentication and secure communication.
- NoSec mode provides no security and is intended for testing and development purposes only.
Authorize your device using a pre-shared key. To use this option, provide the following:
- Key identity - Define the name that the device will use during the DTLS handshake. The Key identity can be equal to the LwM2M device endpoint name.
- Key - Provide the shared secret used in the device-server authentication in hex or plain text.
Secure the device-server communication with a certificate:
- Select Use a previously uploaded certificate if you have already uploaded a certificate to the platform using the DTLS/TLS Certificates panel.
- Click Upload a new certificate to load your certificate file using the Browse button.
For more information about connecting devices using a certificate, visit the Certificate mode guide.
Use the device with no security established for the device-server communication. Using this mode is not recommended except for testing purposes.
- For more information about connecting devices using certificates, see the Certificate mode chapter.
- For more information about connecting devices using the Bootstrap server, see the Bootstrap server chapter.